A story about yesterday…At the museum there was a young couple in our tour group. Andrea was originally from Germany and Lyon was originally from Paris, but both now live in London. (Jen: Ken told Lyon that we had just visited Lyon, France. Ken was pleased, but Lyon just smiled patiently). Anyway, at the end of our guided tour, Andrea ran after us when we started to leave. She wanted to tell Noemi she was so sorry she had suffered under the Germans. Noemi gave her a hug and Andrea was very moved. It was touching to watch.
We have noticed many wearing masks here. When Ken asked John, from TAS, he said the locals are VERY cautious (in his opinion, overboard). Any cases of H1/N1 here have been a light/regular flu. They take everyone’s temperature upon entering the school (hope I’m not having a hot flash as I enter) and anyone who becomes ill is home for 5days, along with any siblings (even if the siblings aren’t ill).
I was asleep by 8pm last night and Ken wasn’t far behind. I, however, got up at 4am ready to get the most out of this experience. Ken was getting a little annoyed at my wanting to read him your comments because the crazy guy wanted to sleep some more!
We met up with Noemi at 8:30 for the buffet breakfast downstairs. I have fallen into a deep love with the bread here. It’s filled with walnuts or just bit of sweetness. I think I’ll fill my suitcase with it.
Mr. Sun picked us up at 10am and we met Robin and Pat at the school where they were having an international food fair. It was raining again, but that didn’t dampen the fun. We got to see Robin and Pat for the 1st time since we arrived and meet many of the staff and students from the school. Everyone is so excited that Noemi is here.
After the school, Mr. Sun took us all to a flower and jade market. It is amazing. Blocks and blocks (about a mile) of beautiful flowers, trees “things”. We didn’t get nearly enough time there, so I hope we can return. People here are so warm and helpful. Even in the insane traffic, there is no road rage, Robin says.
After a lunch and shot rest at the hotel, we met Robin, Pat, their son Chris plus other friends and family for Chinese food at Fangs. This was certainly not American Chinese that we know. Dumplings, the greenest greens, rices of every variety, beer, seaweed juice and fresh pineapple and melon for desert. After dinner we walked to the school to see the high school production on of “The Pajama Game”. What an incredible production. It is interesting to see how a school without money constraints works. There was a huge sign welcoming Noemi when we walked in. She is always greeted with awe and respect by everyone.
More later....
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment